On this page, we’ll regularly provide updates on the progress of the project throughout the construction works. Scroll down to read how the site has progressed from enabling works to where it is today.
For more detail, you can download all previous editions of the 21M newsletter at the links below:
Over the course of July, works have included:
- Continuation of enabling works
- Erection of Tower Crane 1 towards the west of the site
- Progression of steelwork up to level 1
- Temporary waterproofing of the retained deck
- Commencement of metal decking to level 1
- Continuation of works to remove the final section of the Moorfields Highwalk
- Works to put a pedestrian gantry in place adjacent to Moor Place have been completed
Moving into August, the steelwork will continue to progress from the East to the West of the site. The steelwork will also be put in place to form a ‘tripond’ on the North East corner of the site. This is where the building will effectively ‘hang’ over the entrance to Moorgate Station in the finished design.
Other works in August will include:
- Moorfields Highwalk
The final section of the Moorfields Highwalk has now been removed. The removal of the bridge foundations using breakers is ongoing. This will lead to an increase in noise, but is being closely monitored. Acoustic protection is in place, and City of London reduced impact hours are being adhered to. These works are due to be complete very shortly.
- Tower Crane Works
There are some alterations due to be made to TC2 in order to increase the height of the crane. Due to the exclusion zones needed for safety reasons, these works will take place over the weekend. These works are now scheduled to take place over the weekend of the 7th / 8th September.
- Welfare Relocation
Our current welfare will be removed during the last week of August. This will involve vehicles collecting the welfare cabins out of hours. Exact details of this will be released in due course.
Over the course of June, works have included:
- Enabling works have been continuing,
- Repositioning of the crane ballast on tower cranes 3 and 4 (see in photographs on the right).
- Steelwork has been progressing up to Level 1.
- Hoarding modifications are now complete, giving the hoarding a new look with Sir Robert McAlpine 150 year celebration colours.
Moving into July, the main steelwork will continue to progress, working from the East to the West of the site (Moorfields to Moor Lane). In addition, other works taking place include:
- The erection of Tower Crane 1 on the weekend of 6th and 7th July.
- Alterations being made to Tower Crane 2 in order to increase the height of the tower crane. These works will be taking place over a weekend due to the exclusion zones necessary for safety reasons.
- Works on the Moorfields Highwalk will recommence, following some issues with noise levels. This will involve removing the concrete from the bridge using breakers; dismantling the bridge and staircase by cutting the steel and removing using the tower crane; and finally removing the foundations using breakers. Throughout this period there will be an increase in noise levels, but this will be closely monitored. Acoustic protection will be in place and City of London ‘reduced impact hours’ adhered to.
Over the course of May, works have been continuing on the 21 Moorfields project. These works have included:
- The establishment of the new site welfare facilities, and removal of the old facilities
- The erection of Tower Cranes 3 and 4
A project milestone was reached on the 15th May, when the first pieces of permanent steel were installed on site. These photographs show the ‘baseplates’ to the piles that support the new steel – weighting 18 tonnes each!
Moving into June, we will be building upon the steelwork already in position, going up to Level 1, as well as begin steelworks on top of the Crossrail box.
Other works over the course of June will include:
- Hoarding modifications will continue, giving the hoarding a new look with Sir Robert McAlpine 150 year celebration colours
- The final section of the Moorfields Highwalk (adjacent to City Point) will be removed. This will take from mid-June to Early July and will involve a mixture of using handheld tools as well as the tower crane. As part of these works, New Union Street will be closed on the weekend of 15th and 16th June
- On Sunday 2nd June we will be running the Tower Cranes on this day to put the anti-collision systems in place. This is taking place on a Sunday due to Health and Safety requirements as it cannot take place whilst other works are happening on site
- Tower Crane 1: The final tower crane is due to be erected over the weekend of 22nd and 23rd June
In the lead up to the final Tower Crane erection, I would like to invite you to a Tower Crane Information event on Friday 21st June at 10am. This event will provide you with details of how a tower crane is put into position and gives you an opportunity to meet the team involved. It will also give you an idea of what to look for when the final tower crane goes up that weekend! Please get in touch if you would like to attend.
Over the first two weeks of May, we mobilised our temporary welfare facilities on the west of the site. This has involved a change in the main site entrance from Moorfields to Moor Lane.
You will also notice that there are now three tower cranes on the project, with both Tower Crane 4 and Tower Crane 3 being erected over the past two weeks. Tower Crane 1 is due to be erected in mid-late June.
From mid-May we are also beginning the main structural steelwork, with the first piece of permanent steel arriving on to site.
Sir Robert McAlpine successfully took possession of the 21 Moorfields project on 1st April. These photos were taken on the 1st April. Since then, enabling works have been taking place to prepare the site for the structural steel erection. These works have included early survey works and removal or the final elements of the piling grillage.
Shortly we will begin the mobilisation of our temporary welfare facilities on the west of the site. This will involve early morning deliveries via Moorfields between 6am and 8am for three days between 23rd and 25th April. Early mornings are necessary due to the large size of the loads, but unloading will not take place until normal working hours begin (8am).
In addition to this, over the course of April we will also continue with the survey works and will be removing concrete plinths. We will also be installing temporary works, which will involve the erection of steel frames across the site.
Looking further forward, over the course of April to June we will be erecting a further three tower cranes, bringing the total number of tower cranes on site to four. We will also be modifying Tower Crane 2 which is already erected on site. The position of these tower cranes can be seen on the diagram below.
The tower crane erections and modifications will take place over four weekends throughout May and June, with works taking place from 9am – 9pm on both Saturday and Sunday. The new tower cranes will be put into position by the existing tower crane, meaning there is no need for road closures.
The dates of the tower crane erections are as follows:
- Tower Crane 4: 4th – 5th May 2019
- Tower Crane 2 (modification): 11th – 12th May 2019
- Tower Crane 3: 18th – 19th June 2019
- Tower Crane 1: 15th – 16th June 2019
The enabling works within the station that have been progressing for the last two years are approaching completion ready for the remaining permanent piles to be installed.
Preparation works for the continuation of the piling are progressing on site now. These preparation works include removal of old piles and any obstructions below ground followed by the installation of the permanent steel pile liners ready for the resumption of piling after the completion of the pile load test.